Texas State Capitol & UT-Austin

We were going to do the Shoal Creek Event on Saturday, but Severe Storm Warnings kept us home (were we had heavy rain, hail, and lightning that knocked our power out for over 5 hours). Sunday we headed down to Austin and did a walking tour of the State Capitol Grounds and into the University of Austin Campus. This was a made up route, not an official volksmarch. You can park for free in the Capitol Visitor's Parking Garage on Sunday.


Sculpture honors not only the veterans, but also persons irrefutably affected by deployments - the families.

Map at the East Entrance to the State Capitol.


Building constructed in the 1850s is now the Capitol Visitors Center.

Built in 1918 it currently houses the Texas Secretary of State.


Art Deco style building still houses TXDOT.

The old bakery operates as a Consignment Shop, Visitor Information Center, Art Gallery and houses the Lundberg-Maerki Historical Collection.


The foundation stones of the temporary Texas State Capitol of the 1880s are pretty well hidden by the landscape plants.

One of two fountains located along the south entrance walkway leading up to the Texas State Capitol building.


The Alamo Monument was built of granite and bronze in 1891

One of two cast bronze 12-Pounder "Napoleon" light-field guns


One of two 1836 24-Pounder Howitzers sitting at the Capitol entrance.

1861 3-inch ordnance rifle (looks like a cannon to me).


Cowboy sculpture was a gift of the artist - Constance Whitney Warren - in 1924.

WWII Memorial


Memorial to the Builders of the Great State of Texas erected in 1938.

Sculpture atop the Spanish-American War Memorial.


Memorial to 36th Infantry Division, Texas Army National Guard
Artist: A. Durenne

A life-size bronze sculpture of a young Texas pioneer mother with a baby on her arms.


There were originally six figures - 3 boys & 3 girls - but two of the figures were damaged and removed to storage.

The Tyler Rose developed from a "native" rose planted by Cherokee Indians to mark tribal trails in the early 1800's.


Texas WWII Memorial

A memorial to military men and women who were witness to horrible history on 07 Dec 1941 at Pearl Harbor.


Texas WWI Memorial

This star-shaped Korean War memorial is dedicated to the more than 289,000 Texans who served in the Korean War.


These granite gateposts are the remains from the original north fence section.

Cistern with marker tells how the capitol building was furnished water when first built.


Monument is dedicated to all Texan veterans who have been disabled while serving in the U.S. military services.

Recognizes and honors the ultimate sacrifice made by Texas law enforcement and corrections officers who were killed in the line of duty.


A tribute to all the men and women of Texas who served in the US Armed Forces during the Vietnam War as well as a permanent memorial to the 3,417 Texans who died in that conflict.

This former Conoco station is from the late 1930s.


The Halle is the home of the German ethnic singing society that organized in Austin in 1852.

A beautiful double-arch stone bridge over Waller Creek.


Prather Dormitory: An all male dormitory built by the WPA in 1937. Went co-ed in 2004.

Roberts Dormitory erected by the WPA in 1936. Housed men only until 1993


Hill Hall built by the WPA in 1939 to house male athletes. The hall went co-ed in 2005

A life-size bronze sculpture of a young mother with her two children and their dog at the university's Alumni Center.


Moss Kerr Fetzer (1965-2004) Memorial at the Alumni Center.

Bench sculpture in front of the Alumni Center.


Bench sculpture in front of the Alumni Center.

Longhorn in front of the UT Alumni Center.


Leaping mare portrays freedom and victory. Also at the Alumni Center.

The "Til Gabriel Blows His Horn" statue pays tribute to the Longhorn Band.


Sabre Tooth sculpture stands guard in front of the Texas Memorial Museum.

Art Deco style museum erected in 1939 by the WPA.


Theropod Track next to the old building.

A WPA project removed fossilized dinosaur footprints from the Paluxy River near Glen Rose and they were displayed in this WPA constructed building until 2004.


World War I Memorial from 1924 when the UT stadium was first built.

Longhorn in front of the Frank C. Erwin, Jr., Special Events Center