Ballinger YRE Event
Runnels County




Walk registration is in Coleman. Walk starts at the Runnels County Courthouse.

Smithsonian Art Inventory Sculpture - Memorial to Charles Noyes (1895 – 1917).

This depot design, with octagonal twin towers, is unusual. The Abilene & Southern Railroad stopped passenger service in 1941 and freight service in 1966.

Mural on the side of the Senior Center.

Huge cactus with stickers removed.
Sheriff’s office built by National Youth Administration

Plaque on the building.

Old Runnels County Jail sitting empty on the courthouse lawn.

Olde Park Hotel claims to be haunted by a former owner and some children.

Courthouse Gazebo.

Runnels County Courthouse was a Second Empire Style built with locally quarried stone. Remodeling in 1941 removed the wood framed roof and central cupola and replaced them with a flat roof.

1936 Texas Centennial County Marker

We the People of Ballinger Guarantee the best of ? Texas.

War Memorial with long list of Runnel county residence who served their country in time of war.

Neon signs for the Texas Grill. We came back to eat lunch here after we finished our walk. It was good food.

(Former) Farmers & Merchants State Bank is a lovely brick building with a corner entry below a tower.

Originally opened as the Princess Theater in 1915. Now it is a restaurant.

Santa Fe Railroad Depot circa 1911. In 1983 it became Ballinger’s City Hall.

Murals on the side of an antique store.

Yellow Iris

Carol and Ed posed for me.

Out of 34 Carnegie Libraries built in Texas this is one of five still operating as a public library.

Nice mural on the side of a garage.

Purple Iris

Lovely tower on this Baptist Church.

Abandoned Methodist Church.

Schoolyard entrance? WPA built wall?

Giescke – Sykes Home – A classic “revival style” structure built in 1910 by rancher/banker Herman Giescke.

Grace Fellowship Church.

Lovely Wisteria – the bees were busy here.

A large brick building caught our eye and we detoured to check it out

It was another abandoned Methodist Church.

Van Pelt House – Queen Anne built in 1901.

Back on the walk route.

(Former) City Hall – erected 1930. Currently it houses the Fire Department and the Municipal Court

Another short detour when we saw this two panel mural depicting scenes from Ballinger and Runnels County.

The historic post office building was constructed from 1937-8 with federal Treasury Department funds.