Text of marker starts out: An early eastern|
gate to Texas, in area claimed in 1600s by both
France and Spain.
|We crossed Ayish Bayou on this boardwalk.|
|Checking out the Santa Fe Caboose.|
|Heading out on the nature trail.|
|Historical Marker for Mission Dolores De Los Ais.|
|Marker for the El Camino Real.|
|Walkway at the Mission Delores visitor's center.|
|Church of Christ circa 1915.|
|St. Augustine Catholic Church circa 1881.|
|Carol and a beautiful Azalea Bush.|
|House on a hill.|
|Historical Marker for First Governor of Texas.|
|The Columns Bed and Breakfast circa 1902.|
This two-story church has walls of cast masonry
stones and features French stained-glass windows.
This post and beam church was built 1870.|
The Gothic bell tower added 1891.
|Ruins on the hill.|
|Marker for San Augustine College.|
Matthew Cartwright home on the
National Register of Historical Center.
|Stephen W. Blount home is also on the |
National Register of Historic Places.
|Old Rock Gym reportedly built by the WPA.|
|Rock wall also WPA built?|
|Wood church built in 1887.|
|Lovely angel on the Cartwright marker.|
|Back out the arched entrance to the cemetery.|
Ed in front of the old town jail which|
was built in 1884 of native clay brick.
This Old Town Well was dug to a depth of 27 |
feet by slave labor in 1860. At that time the
outdoor well was lined with the circular brick
commonly used. In 1891, a saloon owner bought
the land with the well and built a frame building
over it for a new saloon.
Opened in 1926, the Augus Theater was still|
open in 1950. Building currently houses the
San Augustine County Historical Society.
|This former city jail was built in 1919.|
|Marker for a time capsule to be opened in 2036.|
|Statue of Gov. Henderson.|
|War Memorial on the Courthouse Lawn.|
|Old Lewis Hotel is being restored.|
|Back by entrance to Santa Fe Park.|