Seguin Volksmarch

Vacant hotel.

Nice house.

It's been made into a bed and breakfast, Mosheim Mansion

Begun in 1929 and opening in 1931, the Texas was a glamorous, atmospheric movie palace on a small scale, often described as ‘an intimate gem’.

In 1996, The Seguin Conservation Society acquired The Texas Theatre and began plans to restore the treasure to past glory.

The theatre had its new grand opening in March, 2011.

Mural of the race in “American Graffiti”. Harrison Ford in the black car and Paul Lemat in the yellow.

Methodist Church.

We came to a street just lined with wonderful houses, one right after the other.

Interesting metal tub in this garden.

Mike’s Edge mural.

Another nice house.

Erected 1902-1903 by Women’s Federated Clubs of Seguin.

Known as the first structure in Texas built solely for a women’s clubs. Architecture is Greek revival.

Christmas decorations on the light posts.

Seguin City Hall.

Guadalupe County Courthouse.

Nice house down by the Seguin River.

Double church spires on Saint Andrews Episcopal Church.

Another nice home.

Seguin’s first church. Built in 1849 for a Methodist convention, Seguin’s first church building was used by worshipers of all Protestant denominations for some years.

Log cabin of John Campbell who emigrated from Ireland before 1847.

Dietz Doll House. It was built in 1910 by Louis Dietz for little Alice O’Brien, 5 years old, who had come to Seguin as an orphan train child. Alice was born on May 28, 1905, in the New York Foundling Hospital in New York City. In those days, orphan or homeless children were transported by train to various small towns throughout the United States for adoption. In Seguin, Alice was taken in by John and Julia Magin, but nine months later, Mrs. Magin died. A German-born carpenter, Louis Dietz and his sister, Miss Mollie, applied to the Catholic Parish priest to raise Alice in their home..

Built in 1849 of hand-formed, sun-dried abode, it is one of the oldest structures in Seguin. Prevention of its demolition in 1952 was the first project of the Seguin Conservation Society

A newer home but very pretty decorated for Christmas.

Another old home.

This is an older movie house built in the late 1920’s. Unfortunately, just a few years after it was built, a fire destroyed most of the theatre. However, the theatre was re-built in 1947 to look like the original building/structure.

Saint James Catholic Church.

Nolte Building circa 1910. Occupied by Starcke Furniture Company.

One of the markers around City Park.

Statue of Juan Seguin depicting him as he looked in 1839, as he rode in a parade held in his honor when the town changed its name from Walnut Springs to Seguin.

Fountain in the middle of the city park.

Another marker in the park.

Marker for John Ireland. Governor of Texas 1882-86. University of Texas was born during his term in office.

Marker describing the “White Way” when lights were installed on Seguin’s streets.

Veteran’s Memorial.

Marker telling of the Old Spanish Trail that passed through this area.

Pecan displayed on the courthouse lawn.

A new veteran’s Memorial.

Mural by Brent M. McCarthy – circa 2008

Entrance to Walnut Springs Park.

Historical marker about Walnut Springs.

Very nice walkway and bridge.



Juan Seguin’s grave. He died in 1890 in Nuevo, Laredo, Mexico. His remains were returned to Seguin, TX in September, 1974. His body was reinterred with special honors on July 4, 1976, by the City of Seguin and Seguin Bicentennial Commission.

Second Baptist Church. During Reconstruction, the freed slaves in Seguin organized their own congregation.

Passed back by Walnut Springs Park at a different entrance.

Another Roadunner.